Sunday, December 6, 2009

Can my community association fine me for parking my pop-up trailer on the county road in front of my

The trailer is legally licenced and with current tags. The association has sent me a registered letter stating that they will fine me if I do not move it out of the community. The association by-laws state that "Trailers shall not be parked on any lot or parked upon any streets or common areas." The street in front of my house is owned by the county (Anne Arundel County, Maryland). Can the association have jurisdiction over this county road within the community? I had the trailer parked in my back yard behind my house. I am surrounded by woods and the only people who could see it are people looking in my back yard. I know they have jurisdiction over my lot in the community. So I have to move it out of my backyard and I want to move it on the county street in front of my house. So do they have juridiction over the county road within the community?



Can my community association fine me for parking my pop-up trailer on the county road in front of my house?coolest myspace





I don't really know the details of your circumstance. But,. most streets covered by community association rules are owned by municipalities. Presumably, you bought the property knowing what the restrictions are so you have to abide by them. I don't see the difference if it is a public road or a private one. It is in the community.



Now, whether they have the will and the might and the resources to take you to court to collect the fine is another matter.



Can my community association fine me for parking my pop-up trailer on the county road in front of my house?myspace comments myspace.com



Yes they do. And they can enforce their jurisdiction in small claima court if you refuse to pay the assessment.



You had access to the document before you moved in. You made an "informed decision" to move there and to abide by the association's rules, of which you are now a member.



Even if you move it to your back yard, you are in violation.
The community association probably thinks they have jurisdiction over public roads and may even list it in their by-laws. The fact is a public road is just that, public. Check with the county about parking there and get documentation of the laws about parking on the street. Then send a copy to the association. Also, see if you can get a lawyer to write a letter to the association stating legal action againt them. A lot of people don't realize, that sometimes just a letter from a lawyer will solve a problem. You may find that all you need is the threat of litigation and a lawyer won't charge you an arm and a leg just for a letter.



While conducting surveillance in some areas, I've been approached by community associations who have told me I couldn't park in front of people's houses. I point out to them that the street in front of a residence isn't that persons property and that it is a public roadway and as long as I'm not impeding traffic, I'm free to park. I then invite them to call the police so I will have documetation for my company to use to bring a lawsuit against the association. This has always worked because it's true.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
antivirus programs