Sunday, December 6, 2009

CDL training: community college vs. non-community college?

I ask this because the community college near me that offers CDL training is a very ghetto community college. I think this is the only community college in my area that offers CDL training. I might be looking into other colleges that aren't too far and perhaps maybe any CDL training institutions would suit me better. How do I find the best CDL schools in my area? Yellow Pages?



CDL training: community college vs. non-community college?love girls myspace





You'll save money if you go to a community college. Their tuitions are set by the state, and they recieve funding from the state....so they're actually in it to TEACH YOU instead of make money :).



Roadmaster and the like....I've heard of "cdl schools" charging people upwards of 5000 dollars....versus a comm. college tuition of MAYBE 1500, possibly less depending on where you're located. And while some of the "cdl schools" will give you a decen education, SOME of them are truly in it to make money and push people through as quickly as possible, whether they're qualified or not. When choosing a school, look at class size and number of hours/miles YOU PERSONALLY will spend ON THE ROAD during training. Some of these places will have you sharing a truck with an instructor and 6 students for your road training and you'll maybe get an hour of driving a day.



Ask any driver trainer who works for a major company....and they'll tell you hands down, students who come from a vocational school or community college are usually MUCH better trained and prepared for the road....a lot of these Roadmaster-and-such graduates have spent maybe 10 hours behind the wheel and are frightening to witness.



Basically, the way I found a community college near me that offered truck driver training, is I did a google search for all the towns (AND Counties) within driving distance + I added the terms "community college commercial vehicle driving school". You can also try it with "vocational school" or "vo-tech"....most of your state run schools won't be in the Yellow Pages.



Also go to www.newbiedriver.com or any other trucking-related community chat boards, you can post questions about your specific area and how to find a community college that's in a better location, you may have luck that way.



Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
antivirus programs