Sunday, November 29, 2009

Community awareness question #2: what resources are available in your community for disadvantaged pe

I am sitting here watching a blizzard raging outside, and I wondered how many folks know where people can go if they are homeless or recently fell on hard times? Does your community, in general, reach out to those who are disadvantaged (homeless, low income, recently laid off, recently divorced, etc.)? I moved from a town where every church had a food and clothing bank prepared, to one where neighbors do not even know each other. How do you think your community rates? Do you participate?



Community awareness question #2: what resources are available in your community for disadvantaged persons?big brother myspace





In my community, you can call Contact (a telephone hotline available in many places) to give you info about community resources. I took their training session, which informed me about a lot of options to get help in my area.



There are food banks, shelters, places to help abused women and children, a fund to help pay people's utility bills when they can't afford them, thrift stores that will help clothe needy people, public transit for anybody who needs a ride (including handicapped people)...there are quite a few things. I'm sure there could be more, but my town's not too bad as far as helping people who are down on their luck.



I read an article recently, though, in Newsweek, about how many suburbs don't have enough programs or support for people who are having a hard time. Not enough mass transit, not enough food banks, not enough discount stores and stuff for low-income people...it's a shame.



So I think it's a widespread problem that doesn't get enough attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
antivirus programs