Sunday, November 29, 2009

Community college or 2 year acting with NYFA?

I'm 18. Fresh out of high school. I live in the OC. Near Fullerton. I need training and I have very little experienced. Which is a better option for me to do? A 2 year acting focused schooling with NYFA or go to my nearest community college and have to take GE classes and take theater classes there?



What is the best way to start getting experience at 18 years old with very little background in acting?



Community theater was one thing recommended to me and while I can find community theaters, I'm not sure how to get into these productions they put on. Auditions, etc. Also, I'm worried I might be under-par compared to what they want.



Any help is appreciated.



Community college or 2 year acting with NYFA?skinny myspace





Honestly, I was a theatre major and I don't recommend it. Some people may argue me on this, but I had worked professionally before I went to a university for theatre and I really thought they were full of it with their training. Lots of other actor friends who majored in drama at other schools agree. Instead of taking classes at a college, I think you should rather take them at specific acting schools in your area. They will have a wider variety to offer and won't be so stuffy in the courses that they offer. I did community theatre way before I graduated high school. I definately recommend that - doing actual roles is the best training you can get! Audition whenever you can. Unfortunately, I learned very little from the drama program. Most people I know wished they had a back-up so they learned something that could give them merit later on during job searches. Even television, theatre, radio background production courses are a good bet because they let you see the what happens behind-the-scenes. Do acting on the outside so you will still love it after your college days. Best to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
antivirus programs